10 May 10 Things Every Parent Should Know About Play
By Laurel Bongiorno – from the excellent famillies.naeyc.org website.
1. Children learn through their play.
Don’t underestimate the value of play. Children learn and develop:
- cognitive skills – like math and problem solving in a pretend grocery store
- physical abilities – like balancing blocks and running on the playground
- new vocabulary – like the words they need to play with toy dinosaurs
- social skills – like playing together in a pretend car wash
- literacy skills – like creating a menu for a pretend restaurant…
To read the other nine important things to know – which we highly recommend – visit the NAEYC website.